It is always best to seek the help of a professional when we are having sewer problems. However, a lot of us prefer to solve the problems ourselves because of the amount of money we believe we can save. In most cases though we just dive in without any action plans thus causing even more problems. Sewer repair in Ft Worth is not as easy as it sounds. You need skills and the appropriate training to be able to effectively and efficiently do it. To help and guide you in doing sewer repair on your own, just follow the following tips and advice.
First, get a hold of the plumbing codes in your area. Normally, you can get these from your local authorities. These plumbing codes enable you to determine just how deep along the pipes you are allowed to dig. So you need to be aware of these codes before you start doing anything to avoid unnecessary problems and issues in the future. It is also for safety purposes.
Second, in repairing damaged sewer lines which are under concrete foundations, you need a cutoff saw, a diamond blade, a metal cutting blade and a heavy hammer to get through the concrete. Use a diamond blade on the cutoff saw to cut through the concrete. If you reach or encounter the steel bars on the concrete, you need to switch the blade to a metal cutting blade. Using a heavy hammer, pound on the already cut concrete to break them into chunks so you can easily remove them from the hole you are trying to dig.
Third, if the damaged sewage is leaking into the street or into the neighborhood, it is advisable that you contact the sewage system services in your locality immediately to ensure that it does not become hazardous to the community. Seek their advice as well on how to get the damaged pipe repaired or replaced.
Fourth, follow the following steps when doing sewer repair.
- Dig through the soil or cut your way through concrete if necessary to get to the damaged sewer lines. The size of the trench you create should be large enough to allow you to work on the sewers with ease. Make sure there is room for you to cut and move the pipes around. You should be able to position them as easily as possible.
- Whether it’s cracked or broken, you have to remove the damaged portion of the sewer line. You may cut through them using a cutoff saw with a diamond or a metal cutting blade.
- Get measurements of the removed pipe so you can determine the size of pipe you need to replace it. Use the measurements on the replacement pipe before cutting through it.
- Place connectors on the two ends of the pipe you cut through earlier then slowly slide the replacement pipe into place.
- Securely tighten the ring clamps around the pipe connectors. Turn the screws on the ring clamps using a suitable screw driver.
- Test out the repairs done by running water through the sewer lines and observe if it still leaks or anything.
- If nothing seems amiss or leaking, start reburying the sewer line.
Keep in mind these tips so you may avoid unnecessary mistakes and risks along the way. Call a Ft Worth sewer repair plumber today.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5419312